Every year the Day of the Dead celebration becomes more prominent in the United States. As a Spanish Teacher, this is a must-teach holiday and an excellent way to incorporate an important cultural topic to your class.
For the past year, we have been creating Holiday Mega Packs to help you teach Spanish vocabulary in an engaging and fun way. Now, in addition to the materials that we usually include in our Mega Packs, we have added a Lesson Plan for the Day of the Dead.
Teach the Day of the Dead with zero prep time!
Here is all you need to teach the Day of the Day! We have put together a cultural Lesson Plan and Spanish Vocabulary Mega Pack that can be used to with almost any level:
PART 1: Cultural Lesson Plan in Spanish and English
In the first place, students will learn about the origin of the Day of the Dead through an English text, and will discuss the concept of ‘cultural syncretism’. They will later discover the deeper meaning of the festival through a video and will learn some of the elements that are part of the festival —the altars, the calaveritas or skulls and others.
Finally, they will watch a video about the influence of Halloween in the traditional Day of the Dead in Cancun: students will think about the differences and similarities between the two and will discuss about the importance of celebrating the Day of the Dead and its possible future.
PART 2: Day of the Dead Spanish Vocabulary Mega Pack
The Mega Pack gives you plenty of activities and printables to choose from to teach the vocabulary of the Day of the Dead:
- Bilingual vocabulary handout
- Vocabulary Power Point Presentation with audio clips from a native speaker
- Illustrated vocabulary handout
- Printable poster in 3 different sizes
- Crossword puzzle
- Word search (in two versions: Spanish and English keys)
- Word jumble
- Reading comprehension activity Una mirada al altar del Día de los Muertos with audio in Spanish. (The English reading is also included with no audio.)
- Skull coloring and wrap-up activity