Women simply love jewelry and my mom is one of them. Genuine or costume, the bling-bling always amazes her. If you want to flatter a Spanish-speaking lady with a pair of earrings, you will need to take some notes on how to many words there are in Spanish for this word.
The Dictionary of the Royal Spanish Academy approved the words arete, aro, pendiente and zarcillo. Just there you have four words for earring that you can basically used all over Latin America and Spain. Be aware that the word aro also can mean a ring or hoop.
More Words in Spanish for EARRINGS
The Royal Spanish Academy gave us four words for earrings above. Now the part that we love: the Spanish differences among countries.
1. Arito: The diminutive for the word aro can be heard in Honduras and Argentina.
2. Pantalla: For others it is a screen (movie or TV), but in Puerto Rico it is the most common word for earring.
3. Topo: This word is used in Colombia
4. Caravana: It is the word used in Uruguay for earring. It can also mean caravan.
5. Chapa: This word is often used in Nicaragua. In other countries it is the cap for glass bottles.
Here are a couple of words in Spanish that you can use when looking for a specific type of earring.
1. Pendiente: In some countries it may be the general term for an earring, but in others it is an earring with a pendant.
2. Arracada: An earring with a pendant.
3. Argolla: Earring in the form of a hoop.
4. Dormilona: A stud earring generally with a pearl or stone.
5. Candonga: Colombian word with African roots. It is an earring in the form of a hoop.
So here you go, 14 words in Spanish for earrings. If you want to use the plural form to make reference to a pair of earrings, just add an S at the end of each word.
Check out these other articles about the Spanish Language.