When traveling to Chile you need to take note of the particular food words in Spanish they use. This is crucial to decide what to order and to understand what you are about to eat.
Here is a list of 50 food words in Spanish used in Chile presented in a “flash card power point format” that you can download, print or embed in your website.
This set of words comes from the Quick Vocabulary Tables of the book Speaking Chileno: A Guide to Spanish from Chile.
Chile Spanish Words: Food Words Flashcards
List of Chile Spanish Words: Food Words in Spanish
1. ají: either a hot pepper or hot sauce
2. aliado: a ham and cheese sandwich
3. anticucho: a shish kebab, skewer
4. arrollado primavera: a Chinese spring roll
5. cabritas: popcorn
6. callampa: mushrooms
7. carne al disco: a type of BBQ that is cooked in a round disc
8. cazuela: a stew made from beef or chicken, potatoes, pumpkin and other vegetables, with a thin broth
9. cecina: a general term for any lunch meat
10. charqui: beef jerky
11. chirimoya: sour sop fruit
12. chirimoya alegre: a flavor often used in ice cream and yogurt that is a combination of chirimoya and orange.
13. choclo: corn
14. chunchules: cow innards that are grilled and served at typical Chilean asados and parrilladas
15. cochayuyo: a rust colored algae from the ocean, boiled and served in salads and stews
16. completo: a hot dog loaded with everything, generally tartar sauce, chopped tomato and mayonnaise.
17. crudo: a steak tartare dish served with chopped onions and bread, and “cooked” with lemon juice
18. cuchufli: a wafer cookie sold by street vendors
19. delicia: a cookie filled with different flavors of marmalade
20. durazno: a peach
21. frutilla: strawberry
22. italiano: a hot dog with mayonnaise, diced tomato and avocado paste
23. jaiba: crab
24. lomito: sliced pork most often used in sandwiches
25. machas: razor clams
26. malva: just like marshmallow, but thicker, less spongy
27. malvabisco: marshmallow
28. manjar: a typical caramel type sweet that is used in candies, pastries and all types of desserts
29. mantecado: a butter cookie
30. merquén: a spice used to give things a hot flavor to them, similar to chili powder
31. mil hojas: a typical pastry dough used for different types of desserts
32. ostiones: scallops
33. palomitas: popcorn
34. pan amasado: a typical Chilean bread often baked in a brick oven.
35. pan batido: another name for pan marraqueta
36. pan de molde: loaf bread
37. pan francés: another term for pan marraqueta
38. pan frica: a round type of bread used, for example, for hamburger buns
39. pan hallulla: a typical Chilean bread round-shaped and extremely flat
40. pan marraqueta: a type of bread shaped pretty closely to butt-cheeks
41. pelayo: a type of chewy candy, most often made with milk
42. pichanga: a plate of stuff to munch on such as olives, hams, cold cuts, pickled vegetables, etc.
43. pickle: different types of pickled vegetables, such as onions, cauliflower and carrots, not just the typical pickled cucumbers
44. picoroco: a large barnacle that may be cooked and served; the meat is removed from the shell and eaten
45. picoteo: appetizers, a plate of food to munch on
46. prieta: blood sausage
47. quesillo: a light, white cheese often served with salads
48. salsa americana: although there are different variations of this common sauce, the closest comparison is relish
49. salsa golf: sauce made of ketchup and mayonnaise
50. vienesa: a hot dog
Check out these other Chile Spanish Slang Word articles.