Do you want to show appreciation to your Spanish teacher? Here are several suggestions that your Spanish teacher will simply love. The following ideas will work well as gifts for Teacher’s Appreciation Day, end-of-school year, and even holidays.
1. Group Hispanic-Themed Gift Basket
If the whole class is involved and contributing, it is possible to put together a large gift. For example: create a gift basket that represents many Spanish-speaking countries. Things that you may include are:
- Chocolate: from Mexico or Costa Rica
- Hot sauce: from Mexico
- Coffee: From the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico or Colombia.
- Cheese: like manchego from Spain
- Sweets: like alfajores from Argentina
- Olives or olive oil: from Spain
- Plantain chips: from the Caribbean
- A Spanish teacher mug or tumbler
- A Putumayo CD with a collection of Latin music
- Latin cookbook
If you don’t wish to buy everything separately, there are also ready-made gourmet baskets that you can order online. For example: the Danita Delimont baskets that come with some edibles – a combination of coffee, chocolate, and a biscotti cookie – plus a mug and four coasters. The wonderful thing is that the photos on the mug and coasters are available in hundreds of options, featuring almost all Hispanic countries. This can be a great gift for a Spanish teacher with a family heritage from: Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Spain, Uruguay, and Venezuela.
2. Music from Latin America
I mentioned Putumayo before as a component of a gift basket. But this may also count as a single gift. Putumayo has many options featuring music for a specific country or collections from Latin America. Here are the best rated:
- Putumayo’s music collection from: Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Colombia, Mexico, Spain and Argentina (Tango).
- ¡Salsa!: “If you are looking for latin dance music or just energizing music– this is a great choice.”
- Latin Beat: “A nice, multi-textured mix of traditional Latin dance styles — son, cumbia, reggae, flamenco — mixed with traces of dancetronica, funk, pop, hip-hop and rock.”
- Rumba Flamenco: “It is a great compilation of Flamenco Music with relatively unknown / commercial artists. You must get it! It makes a great backdrop to any party; it will bring the gypsy out of you.”
- Women of Latin America: “Putumayo has supplied a short-list of emerging stars; the voices heard on this album are uniformly splendid and worthy of deeper exploration.”
- Latin Jazz: “Putumayo’s Latin Jazz is an excellent sampler of the genre,beginning with a 1957 song from Machito and Cannonball Adderley, and ending with a track from the Latin Jazz Grammy winning Brian Lynch/Eddie Palmieri Project. It’s as sweet as Cuban rum,as spicy as mojo sauce-this compilation has mojo.”
3. Inspirational Book in Spanish
The gift of a book is always welcome and greatly appreciated. Here are a couple of inspirational choices:
- Con lápices y tizas de colores: El maravilloso reto de la enseñanza
- Sopa de Pollo Para el Alma Latina: Also available in English as Chicken Soup for the Latino Soul.
- Una Manzana Para mi Maestro: Also available in English as An Apple for My Teacher.
4. A Cool Tote Bag
A teacher must carry stuff to and from home. A nice bag will help the teacher do this with aplomb! There are several companies on the Internet that allow for custom prints to be made, so feel free to pick out an image that they will love!
5. An awesome T-shirt
A t-shirt with a clever Spanish pun or phrase is a cool gift for a Spanish teacher as it showcases their passion for the language and can be a fun conversation starter. Additionally, a comfortable t-shirt is a practical and versatile gift that they can wear both inside and outside of the classroom.
6. Spanish Art Print or Poster
Give your teacher a beautiful print of a famous Spanish artwork, Spanish-speaking country, or a local artist’s work.
7. Spanish Cultural Experience (if available in your area)
Gift your teacher an experience like attending a Spanish cultural event, like a flamenco dance performance, museum, exhibition, or Spanish cuisine cooking class, to help them further immerse themselves in the language and culture.
8. Cultural Items from Spanish-speaking countries
You could gift your teacher a beautiful cultural item such as a tapestry or traditional pottery from a Spanish-speaking country.
9. A Gift Card
A gift card to a local bookstore, coffee shop, restaurant, or online store can be a great way to show your appreciation.
A set of bookends can be a cool gift for a teacher appreciation gift because it helps organize the classroom and adds a touch of personality to the teacher’s desk. Additionally, bookends are practical and useful for keeping books, folders, and papers in place.
A book by a Latin American author can be a great gift for a Spanish teacher as it can provide cultural enrichment, linguistic diversity, and personal interest. It can help teachers gain a deeper understanding of the language’s cultural context and expose them to different vocabulary and expressions. Such a gift can be a thoughtful and meaningful gesture, demonstrating appreciation for their hard work and dedication.
For more gifts ideas for your Spanish teacher check out my next article 10 Gifts For Spanish Teachers They Can Use In Class.
10 Gifts For Spanish Teachers They Can Use In Class
Check out these other articles for Spanish Teachers.