I am attempting to study Italian at the moment, using the Pimsleur Italian course. Attempting is the important word here. This course is a collection of pod casts that are 30 minutes of listening and interacting with the podcast, every day. Lesson 18 is the next one I need to run through which would tell you that I am 17 days into the course. Except I’m not. I think I purchased it over 60 days ago, so I am way behind. What is keeping me from the daily class? One of my excuses is this post Diana and I wrote. So for all you procrastinators out there, here are 75 Excuses For Not Studying a Foreign Language. How many of these have you used before? Be honest!! Have you used or heard any others?
75 Excuses to Not Learn Spanish or Any Other Language
1. The dog ate my homework.
2. The planets are not aligned.
3. Santa Clause didn’t give me a language learning course last Christmas.
4. jIH laH ghobe’ tu’ QaQ Klingon pIn Daq tera’ (I cannot find good Klingon teachers on earth).
5. Summer is too hot to start learning a new language.6. Winter is too cold to start learning a new language.
8. I will invent my own language.
9. Is there a language to understand women? If no, I’m not interested.
10. A search on Wikipedia drove me to a list of 100+ extinct languages, I don’t want to risk myself in a such unstable language situation.
11. The language I wanted to learn is already extinct, and about 100+ others. It isn’t worth it.
12. Language books are very expensive.
13. Language books are too heavy.
14. Facebook is only available in 74 languages, can’t find the one I am looking for in that list.
15. I won’t be able to roll my R’s.
16. My Portuguese teacher is not what I was expecting, I am not motivated.
17. My Spanish teacher took some time off to learn Spanish.
18. I have to take out the trash.
19. I am too tired.
20. There is no more time in the day.
21. I have to get to work early to finish my presentation.
22. I have to stay late at work to impress my boss.
23. Time to head to the supermarket.
24. I left my iPod at home.
25. I don’t have enough money to pay for language learning software.
26. I am not good at learning languages.
27. I have a horrible ear for hearing languages.
28. I have a lisp.
29. I’m not sure which language to learn.
30. Too much vodka last night / champagne this morning.
31. My dog needs to be groomed.
32. The baby is awake.
33. I don’t have my textbook.
34. I’ll never learn all this vocabulary.
35. I sound like a four year old when I speak.
36. I forgot to take my medicine.
37. Time for my morning run.
38. My blood sugar is low so I can’t focus.
39. The business trips just don’t leave me enough time.
40. I have to paint the house.
41. I have to mow the lawn.
42. I can’t find the right books to help me study.
43. The wedding plans are taking up all my time.
44. People will make fun of me when I talk.
45. I am too old to learn new languages.
46. I will never be fluent.
47. My accent is horrible.
48. Last time I tried to speak to someone I forgot most of the words.
49. I will never have a chance to use the language.
50. I don’t have anyone to practice with.
51. I failed my last exam which means I am too far behind the class.
52. Google Translate will give me all the answers I need.
53. There are no good teachers near me.
54. My wife will not let me get a girlfriend to help me learn the language.
55. I need more alcohol to speak better, but can’t drink that much every day.
56.I cannot move abroad.
57. My seven kids will not leave me alone.
58. The grammar is too hard.
59. I barely speak English properly.
60. My husband always wants to have sex; I just want to study French.
61. I don’t like to read.
62. My keyboard does not make all those goofy letters.
63. My internet connection is down.
64. I do not know how to tweet in Russian.
65. Everybody speaks English.
66. I don’t have plans to ever leave this Country.
67. I wanted to learn Spanish, but there are already 500 million people who speak it.
68. I want to learn a new language, one that nobody knows.
69. I am very conservative, English only please.
70. I have to go to church.
71. I already know one language.
72. People will make fun of me.
73. The hours don’t suit my schedule.
74. My 4-year old is more fluent than I. He even corrects me when I speak.
75. I don’t know if I should use a software or hire a teacher.
Check out these other articles about How to Speak Spanish.