Cinco de Mayo marks the anniversary of the Battle of Puebla, when against overwhelming odds, the Mexican Army defeated French forces in 1862.
While Cinco de Mayo has been heavily commercialized but we can still bring this holiday to our Spanish classes by celebrating Mexican culture.
If you decide that Cinco de Mayo is a good fit for your curriculum, here are some suggestions.
Cinco de Mayo Spanish Class Activities by Speaking Latino
Speaking Latino Spanish Teachers Community members have access to all these activities. Just click here to log in.
1. Cinco de Mayo – Introductory Activity for Novice Students – Quick and simple kick-off worksheet to introduce and discuss the history of Cinco de Mayo based on an online video in English. Link and answer key provided.
2. Cinco de Mayo – Spanish Vocabulary List – A printable or digitally sharable handout with the full list of 24 vocabulary words for 5 de mayo with English translations.
3. Cinco de Mayo – Spanish Vocabulary Presentation with Audio – This presentation introduces 24 vocabulary words about Cinco de Mayo in Spanish using illustrations and pronunciation audio clips by a native speaker.
4. Cinco de Mayo – Spanish Vocabulary Illustrated Handout – This printable handout illustrates 12 of the most important vocabulary words for 5 de mayo. Includes editable Google Slides and PDF.
5. Cinco de Mayo – Spanish Vocabulary Printable Posters – Printable poster in 3 sizes that illustrate 12 of the most important vocabulary words used during Cinco de Mayo. The set includes the following sizes:
- Lega size – 8.5″ x 14″
- Tabloid size – 11″ x 17″
- Poster size – 18″ x 24″
6. Cinco de Mayo – Spanish Vocabulary Word Search – A word search in two versions: with a Spanish word list and with an English word list to translate. Includes answer key.
7. Cinco de Mayo – Spanish Vocabulary Word Jumble – A word jumble activity where your students (individually or in a small group) write the letters of a word in the correct order. Includes answer key.
8. Cinco de Mayo – Spanish Vocabulary Crossword Puzzle – An English to Spanish translation crossword puzzle where your students translate the English word to fill in the crossword with the correct Spanish word. Includes answer key.
9. Cinco de Mayo – Reading and Listening Comprehension Activity – A reading comprehension activity that summarizes the history of Cinco de Mayo in Spanish with useful vocabulary to follow the reading easily and reading comprehension questions. Answer key included.
10. Cinco de Mayo – Curious Facts Printable Posters (Spanish and English) – This printable poster is available in 3 sizes and includes 5 curious facts about this celebration that you can discuss in class. You can choose between English or Spanish versions.
11. Grupo El Tren – La Batalla del Cinco de Mayo (Includes Webquest Activity) – La Batalla del 5 Mayo Spanish Song Clozeline Activity. Integrates an authentic resource to review the vocabulary in context and learn more about the key historical figures of Cinco de Mayo with a WebQuest. Digitally fillable.]
12. Mariachis en la época de Covid: La identidad pública y privada – Identidad nacional y étnica (México) – In this reading and visual comprehension activity, students learn about Mariachis in Mexico, their “serenatas” and how they are working to help people and health professionals during the pandemic.
13. El Mariachi (México) – Presentation – Introduce your students to Mariachi from México. Use these ready-to-use Google Slides in Spanish and English for them to bring cultural traditions to your classes.
14. Paper Bag Piñatas Substitute Lesson Plan – Piñatas are containers typically made with papier-mâché or pottery. They are often linked with Mexico, where the containers are brightly decorated and filled with candy or small presents, before being strung up and broken as a celebration event. This activity gives students an opportunity to make their own piñatas with household materials, adorning the piñatas with traditional tissue paper fringe, and filling them with candy and other small treats.
15. Comida tradicional: La identidad pública y privada – Identidad nacional y étnica (México) – In this activity, students learn about Mexican gastronomy, and how food represents the identity of a community.
16. Color Rosa Mexicano: La identidad pública y privada – Identidad nacional y étnica (México) – In this project, students learn about the traditional colors of Mexico, what a logo is, and how the colors represent its culture.
More Spanish Class Activities for Cinco de Mayo
3. Cinco De Mayo: A Celebration of Mexican Heritage [VIDEO] – A 3-minute video in English. Great to introduce the background history of Cinco de Mayo.
4. Cinco de Mayo Study Guide [PDF] – Lesson created by the History Channel. Includes discussion questions and extended activities.
5. Curious Facts About Cinco de Mayo [PRINTABLE POSTERS] – These posters feature 5 facts about Cinco de Mayo in Spanish and English.
6. Survival Spanish Guide to Mexican Street Food [ARTICLE] – Food is one crucial element in the Cinco de Mayo celebration. This article lists 5 misconceptions about traditional Mexican dishes.
7. Cinco de Mayo Kahoot! Game – All your students play at the same time! Your students use their smartphones, tablets, or computers to answer 15 questions about the history of Cinco de Mayo. Ideal as a final review of the lesson. You need to create a free Kahoot! account to access it.
8. Celebra Cinco De Mayo Con Un Jarabe Tapatio / Celebrate Cinco De Mayo With the Mexican Hat Dance [STORY BOOK] – “As students prepare to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, they practice a Mexican dance and try their best not to step on the hat. Includes an informative section about Cinco de Mayo.”
9. Mexican Independence Day and Cinco de Mayo [BOOK] – “Provides background on the people and events that are commemorated on two important Mexican holidays, Independence Day and Cinco de Mayo, and describes how these holidays are celebrated. Students like it especially because it has a lot of pictures and provides good information without too many words.”
10. Cinco de Mayo Activities [LIST OF RESOURCES] – Awesome list of resources including books, songs, infographics, and more!