The FIFA World Cup 2014 just started. Today was the first match and we still have many more to come. But if you are a beginner football fan like my wife Diana and the soccer field terminology is totally new for you, this infographic might help you. It is divided in two parts, the first includes the soccer field in Spanish and English. The second part illustrates the player’s positions.
Remember that soccer or fútbol is huge in Latin America. This is an awesome way to learn new vocabulary in Spanish and impress your Hispanic friends. You will notice that certain terms have more than one option in Spanish. Many of these are specific to certain countries or regions in Latin America. Next time you watch a game, ask someone about the local terms. It’s a great icebreaker to meet people.
Here is the infographic of the basic terms of the soccer field.
The Soccer Field in Spanish and English: Infographic
Football field in Spanish and English
Lets start with the field or la cancha:
1. CORNER: esquina, córner
2. GOAL LINE: línea de gol, línea de fondo
3. GOAL AREA / GOAL BOX: área de meta, área chica
4. PENALTY AREA: área de penal, área grande
5. MIDFIELD LINE: línea de medio campo
6. MIDFIELD: medio campo
7. SIDE LINE: línea de banda, línea lateral
Now the goal or el arco:
1. CROSS BAR: larguero, travesaño
2. GOAL POST: poste, palo
3. NET: la red
1. GOALIE: arquero, portero, guardameta
2. DEFENDERS: defensores
3. MIDFIELDERS: medio campista
4. WINGER: extremo, puntero
5. FORWARD: delantero
6. REFEREE: árbitro
7. SIDELINE REFEREE: árbitro, juez de línea
A soccer team is not complete without:
1. COACH: director técnico
2. ASSISTANT COACH: ayudante de campo
3. TRAINER: preparador físico
Remember that football terminology is not limited to these. What other words should we learn next?
Check out these other English Spanish articles.