Snow cones are a favorite treat for kids. This shaved ice treat is made in many countries around the world. Some shave the ice with a machine, and some still do it by hand. Also, there is a variety of flavors. There are even different methods to eat one. You can eat it or you can drink it. You can use a spoon, a straw or even just your mouth.
Snow cones may be simple, but finding a common name in Spanish-speaking countries can be complicated.
Feel free to save and share this infographic that lists 13 Spanish words for “snow cone” and the Spanish-speaking countries that use them. Scroll down for the text version.
13 Words in Spanish for Snow Cone: Infographic and Posters
List of Spanish words for snow cone
1. cepillado: Venezula (Zulia and Falcón)
2. chúrchil: Puntarenas, Costa Rica
3. copo: Costa Rica
4. esnorbor: Venezuela (East part)
5. granizado: Spain, Chile, Costa Rica, Ecuador
6. minuta: El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras
7. nieve: Honduras
8. piragua: Puerto Rico
9. prensado: Ecuador (in the coast)
10. raspadilla: Peru
11. raspado or raspada: Argentina, Mexico, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Ecuador
12. raspao: Colombia, Panama, Venezuela (Caracas and The Andes)
13. yun yun or yunyún: Dominican Republic
Check out these other articles about the Spanish Language.