Help students understand the traditions associated with Valentine’s Day in Spanish and foster a better understanding of the language as it relates to the holiday. Additionally, teaching Valentine’s Day vocabulary can be beneficial for students who are learning Spanish by using it as an opportunity for them to practice their conversational skills in Spanish.
Valentine’s Day Vocabulary Builder Activities
- Valentine’s Day Vocabulary Presentation with Audio (San Valentin) – A PowerPoint or Google Slides presentation to introduce 24 vocabulary words about Valentine’s Day in Spanish using illustrations and pronunciation audio clips by a native speaker.
- Valentine’s Day Vocabulary Word List Handout – A printable handout with an expanded word list of 37 bilingual vocabulary words.
- Valentine’s Day Vocabulary Illustrated Handout – A printable handout for your students that illustrates 20 Spanish vocabulary words about Valentine’s day. Includes a blank handout for your students to complete with the vocabulary words.
- Valentine’s Day Vocabulary Printable Poster – Printable poster in 3 sizes that illustrate many of the most important vocabulary words.
- Valentine’s Day Vocabulary Crossword Puzzle – An English to Spanish translation crossword puzzle where your students translate the English word to fill in the crossword with the correct Spanish word. Includes answer key.
- Valentine’s Day Vocabulary Word Search – A word search in two versions: with a Spanish word list and with an English word list to translate. Includes answer key.
- Valentine’s Day Vocabulary Word Jumble – A word jumble activity where your students (individually or in a small group) write the letters of a word in the correct order. Includes answer key.
- Valentine’s Day – Spanish for TO LOVE Printable Poster – In Spanish, there are many ways to express love. This printable poster shows the diversity of the Spanish language by featuring five Spanish verbs for LOVE: gustar, amar, encantar, querer, and adorar.
- Infographic: Flirting in Spanish: 18 Easy Spanish Phrases for Dating – In the following list, we’ve given you a few choice phrases that should be easy to remember and quick to charm. Includes English translations.
- Infographic: Spanish Love Phrases For Valentine’s Day – A collection of Spanish love phrases students can say or write to their special someone.
“It was great to give them these expressions and sentence starters as they chose from a variety of cards that i had printed to give to his VALENTINE. And I was lucky to get one per class always from the most tricky students :)” -Geronnima M.
- Presentation: Spanish Sayings About Love: 14 Expressions, Proverbs And Idioms With The Word AMOR – These examples are not that romantic, they are more like expressions of wisdom about the profoundly tender and passionate affection for another person that we call love.
Valentine’s Day Spanish Vocabulary Practice Activities
- Valentine Heart Candies Oral Activity: Question Words – An oral activity can be played in 3 ways to prompt your students to create spontaneous sentences about a photo or video clip with or without the help of question words.
- Valentine’s Day Reading Comprehension Activity – A reading comprehension activity featuring a Speaking Latino original fiction story with reading comprehension questions. Plus, you can use the audio versions included to practice listening comprehension. Answer key included.
Authentic Songs in Spanish for Valentine’s Day
- Song: Tengo tu love by Sie7e – Students practice the verb TENER and Comparisons. Includes a total of 6 different activities.
- Jesse & Joy – Chocolate – Food Vocabulary, History of Chocolate – Class activities with Chocolate by Jesse y Joy to practice food, metaphors, and learn about the history of chocolate. Clozeline and enrichment videos.
- Aventura – Dile al Amor – Affirmative and Negative Commands & Valentine’s Vocabulary – Spanish song cloze activity that includes two versions, the video link, and a short artist bio. Choose the version that is most suitable for your student’s level.
- Álex Ubago – Sabes – Love Vocabulary – Spanish song cloze activity that includes three versions, video link, and a short artist bio. Choose the version that is most suitable for your students’ level.
- Juan Luis Guerra – Amigos – Verb SER and Friendship Vocabulary – Spanish song cloze activity that includes three versions, the video link, and a short artist bio. Choose the version that is most suitable for your student’s level.