Spanish Language Day is celebrated on April 23rd to mark the anniversary of Miguel de Cervantes’ death, one of Spain’s most beloved authors.
Spanish writer and poet Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra published Don Quixote de la Mancha, considered the first modern novel in the Spanish language. This landmark work of literature has helped to make Spanish one of the most popular languages in the world. The aim of Spanish Language Day is to highlight the contributions that Spanish-speaking people have made throughout history and to promote a better mutual understanding between people who speak different languages.
Here are some activities you can do to celebrate in your classroom.
Spanish Class Activities for Spanish Language Day
- Spanish Language Day activity ideas – Includes 3 Spanish Lesson Plan ideas to introduce your students to Cervantes and his most famous, most beloved creation, Don Quixote, on Spanish Language Day this April.
- FREE Spanish Language Day Printable Poster – Decorate your classroom with this printable poster. Receive the PDF file via email where and choose between two styles (white or red) and print it in 3 sizes.Click here to receive your free poster.
- Spanish Language Changes Lives Lesson Plan – This activity aims to increase awareness about the benefits of learning a foreign language, Spanish in this case. In addition, students will reflect upon learning styles, and will try to identify their own. Finally, they will think about activities they can do according to their learning style to help him/her in their Spanish language studies. Students can state how Spanish changed the lives of the people they listened to, describe the lives of different people living in different places, and listen to an interview and understand the basic message being given about the person.
- Why Learn Spanish or Any Other Foreign Language Mini-Lesson Plan – Discover and reflect upon the benefits of learning Spanish or any other foreign language. Students work in groups with videos and infographics to learn why it is important to learn Spanish or any other foreign language. They will also create a poster with their learning Spanish goals for the year.
- Miguel de Cervantes: AP Spanish Literature Presentation & Activities- Introduce your AP Spanish students to Miguel de Cervantes and his work Don Quijote with this ready-made presentation in Google Slides.
- Facts About Spanish Printable Poster – Historic and current facts about the Spanish language such as: Spanish is spoken by 500 million people with a growing trend that will reach 600 million speakers by 2050. Display and discuss this poster during the beginning of the school year or to celebrate Spanish Language Day in April.
- 7 Ways to Add Spanish to Your Life Printable Poster – Help your students reflect on how they can infuse their daily life with Spanish. This poster features some quick and easy ideas to immerse into Spanish while doing your regular daily routines.
Check out our list of Spanish Class Activities.