1. Lesson Plan – Preterite -IR Stem-changing Verbs – Watching television, Sporting Events and News Shows [MEMBERS ONLY] – By the end of this lesson, students will have learned the preterite of stem-changing verbs ending in -ir and the vocabulary related to tv, sports events, and news show.
2. Lesson – Preterite Tense Conjugation of Stem-Changing Verbs – Starts explaining the difference between an irregular verb and a stem-changing verb. Then it lists the 5 most-common conjugation rules for stem-changing verbs in the preterite. Includes the conjugation chart for each one and a suggested list of verbs that follow that rule.
3. Video – Preterite Tense: Stem-Changing Verbs – In less than 5 minutes, students learn how to form (conjugate) stem-changers in the preterite.
4. Video – Preterite Stem-Changing Verbs – A great video to introduce stem-changing verbs in the preterite. Contains examples to help the students know how and when to use the changes.
5. Presentation – Stem-Changing Verbs in the Preterite – This presentation introduces the stem-changing verbs in the preterite with a new twist. Students already know the “boot verbs” concept, and now they will learn about the “sandal verbs”. This presentation shows examples and a practice section where students say the correct conjugation of the verb in Spanish.
6. Presentation and Practice – Preterite Stem-Changing Verbs – Starts with a short introduction about the stem-changing verbs in the preterite as a review before the practice. Most of the presentation is focused on practice and activities.
7. Presentation – The Preterite of –Ir Stem-Changing Verbs – This is a short presentation about the uses of the preterite stem-changing verbs in Spanish. There is an explanation of the “sandal” and “shoe” verbs method and it separates the verbs into 3 types to make for easy understanding.
8. Flashcards – Stem-Changing Verbs – A complete set of flashcards that you can print to help students practice stem-changing verbs. They can use this set to easily complete the exercises.
9. Handout – Preterite Tense: Stem/spell-changing verbs – This is a useful handout with the conjugation of some verbs in Spanish. Also, you can use this as a printable poster to decorate the classroom.
10. Handout – Stem-changing Verbs: Present and Preterit – Includes notes about stem-changing verbs. It starts with a review of the boot verbs in the present and then introduces the preterite with examples.
11. Note Taker – Stem-changing verbs in the preterit – This printable note taker will guide your students through the lesson. Includes a quick practice.
12. Activity – Los tres campeones: Un cuento para practicar los verbos de cambio raíz en el pretérito – For teachers that do TRPS (Total Physical Response Storytelling) this story and worksheet will help you build an activity for this topic.
13. Worksheet – Pretérito: Verbos irregulares con cambio de raíz – Crossword Activity – In this crossword puzzle students have to translate the conjugation of the verbs to complete it. You can use this as a homework or an extra credit activity too!
14. Worksheet – Preterite Tense: Stem/spell-changing verbs – This worksheet contains 3 activities to practice the preterite form of the stem-changing verbs in Spanish. Students do English to Spanish and Spanish to English translations. To complete the activity they fill out the conjugation of the verbs in the boxes.
15. Worksheet – Verbos con cambios de raíz en el pretérito – Students complete the conjugation chart for stem-changing verbs.
16. Worksheet – Preterite Tense: Stem/spell-changing verbs Crossword Puzzle – In order to complete this crossword puzzle, students conjugate the verb to the subject mentioned.